What do shoppers make of natural?
DSM has completed a new survey into perceptions of naturalness and health across Europe and South Africa. The research was completed in April 2015, and involved 1,419 consumers based in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Turkey and South Africa.
Highlights of the survey results are as follows:
- 60% of respondents claim to always choose the healthiest food or beverage product, regardless of price
- Turkish consumers are the most health conscious, with 88% of those surveyed making purchasing decisions based on health rather than cost considerations
- 79% of consumers understand that food choices have a direct impact on health
- 83% associate certain foods with offering specific health benefits, such as cholesterol lowering
- 84% of shoppers consider natural products to be healthier than conventional equivalents
- Minerals (68%) are the health ingredient most likely to be seen as natural, followed by plant extracts (60%) and vitamins (48%)
- Milk is considered the most natural food product by 73% of respondents. 56% of people see yoghurt as natural