7 key considerations
Bad taste, bad texture or products that split, separate or look otherwise unappealing can be just some of the problems food producers can expect should they fail to take into consideration one of a number of factors during the product development process.
Speaking to Kerry Tanner, Product and Ingredient Technical Specialist for Reading Scientific Services, we learned that it’s not as straight forwards as adding the ingredients into the food or beverage and that there are many things to consider. It can be a timely and costly process but with the right expertise it is possible to successfully bring a product to market.
7 key considerations when developing a functional food or beverage product:
- Select the right ingredients
- Ensure the product is compatible with your ingredients
- Optimise your product attributes
- Understand the impact of processing
- Ensure you have the correct packaging
- Determine the shelf life of your product
- Substantiate any claims