Searching for the fountain of youth
As far back as the first century BC legends have spoken of mythical springs that restore the youth of those who drink from them or bathe in their waters. Modern analysis has indeed revealed numerous water sources around the world that contain mineral content and ph levels that are more beneficial to health resulting in global premium water brands such as Volvic and Evian. Although there is still much debate surrounding the tangible effects directly associated with drinking such waters or if it is not purely a marketing ploy. Regardless, as no fountain of youth has ever been discovered, functional drinks brands set out to formulate anti-ageing elixirs of their own.
Vanity by BeCare Life Services is an all natural dietary supplement with proven anti-aging ingredients. The drink aims to help nourish skin, increase metabolism and boost brain power using ingredients that include green tea extract – known for its antioxidants, metabolism boosting properties and for its power to fight obesity. Resveratrol – a natural ingredient found in red wine and cocoa that has been linked to the prevention of age-related health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. Evidence shows resveratrol may also help combat premature aging of cells. Macca – an ancient remedy that helps to relieve stress and combat fatigue. Kiwanch – a special bean extract that helps produce and release effective, natural Human Growth Hormone. The increase of HGH and other youth hormones are known to reduce wrinkles and body fat, increase bone density, enhance energy and contribute to longevity of life.
Sapphire Blueberry Shots contain highly concentrated Blueberry and Cherry Concentrate enriched with nutrient dense botanical extracts such as Elderberry, Citrus, Ginger Root, Olive Leaf and thermogenic Turmeric. This concentrated, phytonutrient rich formula is designed to support and protect at a cellular level and has anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and antiviral properties. It is perfect to help beat winter inflammatory conditions and to help fight of winter colds and flus. The Shots have a high ORAC score which wins this formula a place in any anti ageing regime – when taken regularly the condition of skin, hair and nails is enhanced.
Revive Active contains over 26 carefully selected ingredients to create a potent and unique combination working in synergy, to boost cardiovascular health, increase energy levels and support the immune system. Key ingredients include Coenzyme Q10 (Co Q10), L-Arginine, L-Citrulline, L-Carnitine, Magnesium as well as Vitamin K2. Reviveactive ingredients are in powder form and when mixed with water produces an orange and mango flavoured morning drink. Simply incorporate it as part of your morning nutrition regime to get the full benefit of the ingredients, all day long.
NaïsQ10 from Germany contains only pure fruit juices without preservatives. NaïsQ10 contains no artificial flavors and no added sugar and is naturally flavoured with red grape. The active anti-ageing ingredient in NaïsQ10 is the potent anti-oxidant coenzyme Q10. This helps to shield the body from the free radical damage that causes ageing. Also included is pomegranate juice which is a natural source of vitamin c and k as well as antioxidants. Trials have also shown that pomegranate may offer benefits for heart health.
AgeLess is an anti-aging wellness shot containing resveratrol, antioxidants and B vitamins to provide sustained energy whilst combating the effects of age related cellular damage. As well as its trans-resveratrol, the blend of anti-ageing ingredients contained in AgeLess helps to slow down the signs of aging both internally and externally. With zero calories, carbs and caffeine the shot drink can easily be incorporated into a wellness routine.
Anti ageing in Asia
There is a strong anti-ageing functional food and drink market in the Asia-Pacific region Industry analysts exploring attitudes and behaviour relating to anti-ageing functional foods here found that Australian and Japanese consumers can be amongst the most sceptical of anti-ageing claims made by beauty brands. However as this is one of the most developed markets in the region with less stringent legislation in places, consumers are likely to have been exposed to as many dubious products as credible ones. However in other areas where the market is less mature such as Indonesia and India, consumers are more willing to trial and trust in product claims.
Whilst anti ageing functional products have predominantly focused on beauty related benefits such as wrinkle and line reduction, products are branching out to target the individual niche causes of ageing, adopting a model similar to the supplement industry. Such an approach however puts formulated functional products in direct competition with many of the well established natural products already on the market which have been found to offer anti-aging benefits. These natural products include:
- Tomato Juice contains some of the highest concentraitions of the carotenoid lycopene, which according to a study published in the European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics helps to maintain smooth skin.
- Cocoa is rich in flavanols that help to preserve the healthy function of blood vessels. Maintaining youthful blood vessels lowers risk of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and dementia.
- Beetroot Juice is high in nitrates which helps to improve circulation. In a study funded by the British Heart Foundation, 100% of people suffering from acute high blood pressure saw it go down significantly within hours of drinking a cup of beetroot juice.
- Green Tea is full of potent antioxidants that help quell inflammation. These can play a role in reducing risk of diseases, including type 2 diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heart disease, cancer and stroke.
- Milk helps to provide a source of protein. Protein helps to maintain muscle mass thereby preventing muscle atrophy which occurs with ageing and limitations in activity that ageing can cause.
- Carrot Juice contains the flavonoid luteolin that is believed to reduce the inflammation that can lead to cognitive decline. Studies involving mice showed that those consuming luteolin were able to complete a memorised maze faster that those who had not.
- Orange Juice is rich in antioxidants including lutein which helps to prevent age-related macular degeneration as we age.